Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Turkish Roller Coaster

Well, Hunt got a second haircut yesterday in Bodrum, and I thought, my, I haven't blogged since his last haircut.  I haven't blogged since his last haircut???

I feel like I am on a high-speed Turkish roller coaster, and I am just trying to hang on.  Every day is another adventure which includes great museums, great meals, great bus rides, great sites.  I have never been on a trip quite like it.  Full-steam from dawn to dusk and sometimes later.  Take today:

8:00 Breakfast
9:30 Depart hotel for walk to Underwater Archeology Museum
12:15 Break for a quick lunch
1:00 Meet at dock to depart for 3-hour Aegean cruise (and optional swim)
4:30 Return to dock (optional trip to city market)
7:30 Dinner at hotel
9:30 Farewell to Bodrum Party (dancing by the pool, I think)


Now here I am with 10 days to describe, and only 23 minutes until today's craziness begins.  

Volcan, Guide Extraordinaire
Our guide, Volcan Yazici, is quite marvelous. He is funny and smart and absolutely on top of every situation. I mention this because a guide can make or break a trip. Our last trip to Turkey ended with the guide being fired—about 14 days too late—after the students begged and begged us to shut him up. People from that trip still quote the guide and mimic him, and, in retrospect, he probably provided a group bonding experience.
Quintessential Jay



 
We are also traveling with a very nice young man, Caner Jay Baykal, who is a representative of GlobTur, the extraordinary travel company arranging things in Turkey. Jay has a dry wit and extensive international travel experience which combine to make him an interesting and fun travel companion.  

Both men find no question we ask without merit, no problem we pose unsolvable. What a Dynamic Duo!  The students adore them.


 
And my 23 minutes are up.  No tales, just a framework.  We are in good hands.  More to follow when this roller coaster slows a bit.  I promise.



1 comment:

  1. Hello everybody, this is Oz!
    I think you're right Karen, it was definitely a bonding experience- we all got along because there was one thing we could always talk about, a mutual annoyance with Oz.
    It sounds like you guys are having a great trip! I wish I could be with you guys. Going to Turkey with you was my favorite Jan Term!
    Keep having fun and drink some turkish coffee for me!
    Ann Nelson

    ReplyDelete