Thursday, October 14, 2010

Auf Wiedersehen

Leaving Germany yesterday made me sadder than I could have imagined. I have always philosophised that traveling is just a series of choices. Do I eat here or eat there? Do I see this or see that? Do I buy one or just wait? I must tell myself, “I'll return some day and get to make more choices.” And that keeps me from being sad.

But I was so very sad to leave Germany. Maybe it is that I am getting older (and wiser?) and realize I won't have many more chances to return. Or none.

Mohnschnecken
(Poppy Seed Pastry)
Our Friend, Tracy, And His
Apfelkuchen (Apple Cake)
I love Germany. I love the food. Sausages with sharp mustard, hearty breads, spicy pickles, tender sauerkraut, sliced Wursts, an endless variety of cheeses, mushroon sauces, potato dumplings, hearty soups. And the coffee. And the pastries. How do they do it?

Germans Enjoy Their Beer
It is fun to watch a German eat. (And it is OK to watch. Everyone does it.) They put their fork in their left hand and their knife in their right, and they keep their forearms resting on the table's edge and seldom pause for breath until they are done. It is perfectly acceptable to use the knife to push food onto the fork—Miss Manners would object!—and pile it as high as possible. I once heard a mother tell her son, “Get your arms back on the table!” Marvelous!

Window Boxes
Germans do not bring the bill at a restaurant until you request it which means you can sit undisturbed for hours after you finish eating. There is no sense of urgency like we experience in America. This bothers some travelers because they think they are being ignored, but they are actually being left alone to enjoy the moment. Germans disdain the “eat and run” philosophy and think of a meal in a restaurant as an event. They even take their dogs along. And waiters NEVER offer dessert before you finish eating the main course. Why do we do that in America?

The German street food is a quicker option, and a delicious one. A Bratwurst is a grilled sausage eaten partially inside a crusty white roll with mustard. That first breadless bite of the Bratwurst is a bite to be savored. My favorite sandwich is the Döner Kebab: warmed bun, shaved chicken or lamb which has been roasted on a skewer, lettuce, thinly sliced onions, tomatoes, Turkish paprika, and yogurt/herb sauce. I will sorely miss them.

Crafts, Raw and Prepared Foods, Textiles, Tools
The Markets Have It All
German craftmanship excels all others, and their homes are excellent examples of this. Intricate woodwork, tiled bathrooms, ceramic room heaters perfect for dying socks overnight, flower boxes under windows, marble and wooden floors. Most homes have window shutters which roll electrically or manually, shutting out some or all of the light. This is really important in blocking sunlight in the summer when the sun sets after midnight. (Ask any mother with small children!)


Our Friend, Orell,
 At the Market
I will miss driving in Germany where rules are strictly obeyed. Use your left turn signal to enter a roundabout, your right turn signal to exit it. On Autobahns (highways) you must stay in the far right lane unless you are passing a car. And always pass on the left! But follow the rules and drive as fast as you like. I got up tp 94 mph! Next time maybe I'll break 100.

German Comforters
Are Grand
Market Day
I will miss the rivers and mountains, the profusion of flowers and crumbling castles and Baroque churches. I will miss sleeping under a German comforter, strolling through markets, eating off charming German china. And walking everywhere. And making small talk with the nice people I meet. And thinking about the rich history which surrounds me.

I hope someday to return.


1 comment:

  1. You truly do justice to the country you love. I hope, someday to visit! Have a wonderful remainder to your trip, and be safe. Love to all...

    ReplyDelete